Practicing in Canada

In Canada, the profession of physiotherapist is regulated in all Canadian provinces and territories (except the Northwest Territories and Nunavut). The provincial / territorial regulators set the standards for licensure. However, first the graduate must take and pass the  Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE), which is administered by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR). Having passed the PCE the graduate then applies for a license to the Province or Territory where they wish to practice.

Candidates are encouraged to contact the provincial or territorial Physiotherapy regulatory body in the province/territory in which they wish to practice for information on licensing.

  1. Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators

Practicing in the USA

For Physical Therapists in the United States, candidates must take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE), which is administered by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), before they can apply for state licensure. As licensure can vary state by state, we would encourage you to contact your state licensing authority for information on their respective requirements to practice.

  1. American Physical Therapy Association
  2. American Physical Therapy Association – Licensure
  3. FSBPT State Licensing Authorities
  4. Foreign Credentialing Commission for Physical Therapy

Applications for Fall 2022 are Now Closed!

We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.