Practicing in the USA & Canada

Graduates from the USA and Canada must pass their national examinations in order to be eligible to apply for licensure and to practice in their state or province of choice.

Practicing in Canada

In Canada, the profession of physiotherapist is regulated in all Canadian provinces and territories (except the Northwest Territories and Nunavut). The provincial / territorial regulators set the standards for licensure. However, first the graduate must take and pass the  Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE), which is administered by the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators (CAPR). Having passed the PCE the graduate then applies for a license to the Province or Territory where they wish to practice.

Candidates are encouraged to contact the provincial or territorial Physiotherapy regulatory body in the province/territory in which they wish to practice for information on licensing.

  1. Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators

Practicing in the USA

For Physical Therapists in the United States, candidates must take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE), which is administered by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), before they can apply for state licensure. As licensure can vary state by state, we would encourage you to contact your state licensing authority for information on their respective requirements to practice.

  1. American Physical Therapy Association
  2. American Physical Therapy Association – Licensure
  3. FSBPT State Licensing Authorities
  4. Foreign Credentialing Commission for Physical Therapy