Frequent Questions

What types of students prove to be successful applicants?

All types. The Atlantic Bridge Program is a cultural diversity scheme that is designed to add well-qualified students from a mosaic of backgrounds to the university’s student bodies. Students of all ages, college majors, ethnicities, financial resources, etc., are encouraged to apply. Students are expected to present high marks in science subjects as the application process is competitive.

Must I be a US or Canadian citizen to apply to the Irish Physiotherapy schools through Atlantic Bridge?

No, students from all NON-EU nations may apply through Atlantic Bridge, particularly if have received a portion of your second and/or third-level education in the USA or Canada, or at a US or Canadian school overseas.

Is the Physiotherapy Degree awarded in Ireland recognized in the United States and Canada?

Absolutely. However you should read the Practicing in Canada and the USA page of our website for further details on licensing.

What are the tuition fees?

Tuition fees for the 2021/2022 academic year are as follows:

University College Cork
MSc Physiotherapy – 20,000 Euros

University College Dublin
MSc Physiotherapy – 24,400 Euros

The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
BSc Physiotherapy – 25,000 Euros*

University of Limerick
MSc Physiotherapy – 22,820 Euros

*all privately funded students to RCSI receive a €7,000 scholarship, which brings the annual tuition to €18,000

The above fees should be treated as a guideline only and are not official. Tuition fees are subject to annual review.


How long are the Physiotherapy degree courses in Ireland?

University College Cork

  • 2 Year MSc Physiotherapy degree

University College Dublin

  • 2 Year MSc Physiotherapy degree

The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland

  • 3 Year BSc Physiotherapy degree
  • 4 Year BSc Physiotherapy degree

University of Limerick

  • 2 Year MSc Physiotherapy degree

I have a European Union (EU) passport but I do not ordinarily reside in the EU. Do I qualify for EU tuition fees?

Holders of EU passports who are not ordinarily residents of the EU are subject to overseas (i.e. non-EU) tuition fees. A student who meets any of the following conditions may request to be assessed for EU Tuition Fees.

*Ordinarily resident means being resident in the EU/EEA/Swiss Confederation for a minimum of 183 days in any one calendar year for a minimum of 3 of the last 5 years.

(a) For all applicants aged under 23 on September 1st of the year of entry to a program:

  • Parent(s) must have been resident as tax-payer(s) (i.e. principal residence for the purpose of taxation) in the EU for three of the five years prior to commencing the program AND
  • Applicant/student must have been ordinarily resident in the EU/EEA/Swiss Confederation for three of the five years prior to commencing a program

(b) For all applicants aged 23 or over on September 1st of the year of entry to a program:

  • Applicants over 23 are considered independent, mature applicants. The applicant/student must have been resident as a tax-payer (that is – principal residence for the purpose of taxation) in the EU/EEA/Swiss Confederation for three of the five years prior to commencing the program

(c) Students educated for 5 years in primary or secondary school in the EU/EEA/Swiss Confederation can be assessed for EU fees

A student who is eligible for EU fees must apply via the Central Applications Office.

Note: Any period of residence as a student or a holder of a student visa will not be included in the assessment of years of residence.

If I am eligible for EU Fees, how should I apply to the Irish Physiotherapy Schools?

In order to receive an offer of an EU place, you must apply via the Central Applications Office (CAO).

What is a competitive GPA?

Because GPA can be very subjective, the Irish physiotherapy schools do not typically use guidelines around GPA for admissions purposes. For instance, Student A may have a slightly lower GPA than Student B, but Student A may have a much higher degree of difficulty in his / her degree or high school program. Also, many schools (especially in Canada) do not even have a GPA system. So there are many variables involved, therefore, GPA is not always a useful system for assessing students for physiotherapy school and it can be misleading.

Consequently the Admissions Committees tend to consider every application individually and on its own merits, taking into account (among other things) the degree of difficulty involved in the undergraduate degree or high school curriculum, the competitiveness of the school, the course load carried by the student and many other factors.

How many entering classes are there each year and when do classes commence?

There is one entering class each year. Classes commence annually in September.

What is a conditional offer?

Students who are currently enrolled in courses and who will not have final marks or earned their degree by the application deadline may be given a conditional offer by the schools. This is a common practice and allows students to (i) apply while they are still undertaking their current coursework and (ii) receive an offer of a place based on past coursework already completed and predicted marks.

A conditional offer is an offer that is contingent on meeting certain condition(s), for instance, a) earning a high school diploma or bachelor’s degree by September of the year of entry, b) earning a certain grade point average, c) completion of the prerequisite science and math courses and/or d) obtaining a certain score on a standardized test (e.g. IB/MCAT etc.).

Are student accommodations available?

Yes, Irish universities all have modern accommodations. Housing in the private sector, including housing for married couples, may also be located with guidance from the college’s Student Accommodation or International Offices. For more detail, please visit our Accommodations page.

How much would I have to budget for living expenses?

It has been our experience that, on average, students will spend approximately €18,000 (Euros) per year on living expenses (housing, food, supplies, transportation, books etc.). Most of these expenses can be funded through US student loans or Canadian lines of credit.

What kind of financial aid is available?

Financial aid in the form of US student loans and Canadian lines of credit are available to cover education expenses such as tuition fees, books and supplies, travel, etc. Currently the schools themselves cannot make scholarships available to international students.

Will I have to undergo a health screening?

Yes. In the interests of the safety of both patients and students, Irish health care regulations require that a student entering a health care-related program undergo a health screening at the university health center after registration with the school. This is required to ensure that students are free of any infectious disease that may cause harm to patients, other students or faculty.

Documents for such screenings are provided by the universities. Please note that there is an associated cost of approximately €225 – €300 (depending on the school) for health screening. The fees are paid directly to the university.

What about health insurance?

The Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service require that all non-EU students have private health insurance while studying in Ireland. Students should be prepared to present proof of insurance when arriving in Ireland.

Non-EU students must provide evidence of comprehensive medical insurance when registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. The following health insurance providers in Ireland can ensure that you have the policy you need upon your arrival:  VHI, ODON and AVIVA.

May I obtain employment while I am studying in Ireland and do I need a visa before traveling?

For the answer to these questions, please visit our Moving to Ireland page.

Are there any special airfares available to students studying in Ireland?

Yes, the Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) offers special student airfares to students who are studying overseas. CIEE has offices throughout the USA and Canada through which travel arrangements can be made to and from Europe, North America and the rest of the world. For details on their office nearest you call 1-800-781-4040 or visit

Who can my family and friends contact if they want to receive information on traveling to Ireland to visit me?

The Irish Tourist Board at 1-800-223-6470, or visit Most of the major air carriers have daily scheduled flights to and from Ireland. You could also check with your preferred airline.